For those who don’t know, there are very few things in this world I love more than my pooch (spoiled much?), which meant I spent my Friday night baking homemade dog treats for him and foregoing my own dinner.
I’ve always liked the idea of knowing everything that’s going into his body to ensure he’s as healthy as can be, so I figured making him his own treats would not only keep me aware, but also be cost effective and fun! After scouring a variety of different recipes, I found one that sounded like something he would enjoy: ‘Pumpkin Peanut-butter Cookies’
This recipe was super easy, only involving 6 ingredients, and producing about 60 dog treats (though this could be more, I just made mine fairly large).
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
Directions (ie. my favourite part because they’re stupidly easy)
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Mix all of the above ingredients (sans eggshells) in a bowl until you achieve a doughy consistency
- Scoop out small amounts and place on baking sheet (if you want to roll out the dough and use cookie cutters, that would be super adorable)
- Put in oven for 30 minutes
Jack finds these treats to be absolutely drool-worthy so I will definitely be making them for him again. Be sure to let the treats cool before you feed them to your pooch!
Side note* they totally smell like cookies, but after eating one, I can safely assure you they don’t taste like them.